Thursday, November 08, 2012

Barbara Kay on Anglophobia

Barbara Kay on Richard Martineau's program discussing the scary increase of Anglophobia in Quebec

And her piece in the National Post: But enough already about the U.S. elections. Instead, let me tell you about the 90 minutes that I spent two weeks ago taping a one-on-one interview with Montreal public-affairs journalist Richard Martineau, for his TV show Francs-tireurs (Sharpshooters), to air tonight on TéléQuébec. Martineau invited me on his show to defend my Sept. 28 National Post column, in which I predicted dark days for Quebec anglos. I said Premier Pauline Marois’ playing of the specious “French is threatened” fear card during her campaign had led to unprecedented hostility to the very sound of English in public. My French is functional, but not fluent. And I knew Martineau was a tough interrogator. More worrying, language rights is a sound-bite minefield. In the end, I enjoyed myself. Martineau wasn’t nearly as scary as anticipated, and my righteous indignation compensated for my occasional vocabulary stumble.

No comments:

I Support Lord Black