Friday, October 19, 2012

R.I.P. Lincoln Alexander

 I greatly admired Lincoln Alexander. I have had the pleasure of meeting him on a number of occasions. I was very sad to hear of his passing He served his Queen and Country well. He was great man. My sympathies to his family.

TORONTO - Lincoln Alexander, whose unstoppable energy and fierce determination lifted him from humble beginnings to smashing racial barriers as Canada's first black MP, has died at the age of 90. The formidable man known to all as "Linc" was a living legend in his hometown of Hamilton, Ont., and a statesman whose life and career were a series of groundbreaking firsts, Lt.-Gov. David Onley said Friday. At a time when racism was endemic in Canadian society and visible minorities were treated as strangers in their own land, Alexander's life was a "rebuke" to those who equated ability with skin colour, he said. "He overcame poverty and prejudice to scale the professional and political highs," Onley said. He will receive a provincial state funeral, Onley said, the second in Ontario's history — the previous one was for former premier John Robarts in 1982.

No comments:

I Support Lord Black