Sunday, September 02, 2012

Soulpepper: The Crucible and Royal Comedians

I have seen two Soulpepper plays The Royal Comedians and The Crucible. I attended pre show chats at both. I am never disappointed at how left wing the actors rate at the Soul pepper and both pre show chats continued that tradition. Even when talking about Stalinist Russia( a regime fully backed by the western left), one of the actors saw fit to trash talk Mitt Romney. Inspite of this I enjoyed both plays. Crucible is a play about the Salem Witch Trials, written by Arthur Miller to denounce his friend Elia Kazan who co operated with the HUAC. The acting , sets and story were extremely compelling. It was a very moving experience. The theater was very full and the audience was very appreciative.

Royal Comedians is about Moliere and Louis XIV on the surface. It is really about the authour renowned Russian playwright Mikhail Bulgakov and Stalin. Stalin apparently saw this play fifteen times before banning it. It is a fairly obscure play, so the audience was smaller than for The Crucible. I thought the acting was very good and the sets imaginative. both are plays I would recommend.

No comments:

I Support Lord Black