Saturday, June 16, 2012

I Oppose assisted suicide

As a physician my primary goal is to relieve suffering and preserve life. It is a primary goal of physicians for thousands Of years. I will never knowingly end a person's life. Many of my colleagues feel the same way. This court ruling in BC is wrong. It must not be allowed to stand. The real tragedy is that patients should be offered palliative care and other things that relieve their suffering. I attended a lecture by a palliative care physician, Dr. Jose Pereira, from Ottawa who spoke of his European experience with doctor assisted death. He confirmed he saw people pressured to do it by families and some doctors. This is a slippery slope we should not go on. Hippocratic Oath I swear by Apollo the physician, and Asclepius, and Hygieia and Panacea and all the gods and goddesses as my witnesses, that, according to my ability and judgement, I will keep this Oath and this contract: To hold him who taught me this art equally dear to me as my parents, to be a partner in life with him, and to fulfill his needs when required; to look upon his offspring as equals to my own siblings, and to teach them this art, if they shall wish to learn it, without fee or contract; and that by the set rules, lectures, and every other mode of instruction, I will impart a knowledge of the art to my own sons, and those of my teachers, and to students bound by this contract and having sworn this Oath to the law of medicine, but to no others. I will use those dietary regimens which will benefit my patients according to my greatest ability and judgement, and I will do no harm or injustice to them. I will not give a lethal drug to anyone if I am asked, nor will I advise such a plan; and similarly I will not give a woman a pessary to cause an abortion. In purity and according to divine law will I carry out my life and my art. I will not use the knife, even upon those suffering from stones, but I will leave this to those who are trained in this craft. Into whatever homes I go, I will enter them for the benefit of the sick, avoiding any voluntary act of impropriety or corruption, including the seduction of women or men, whether they are free men or slaves. Whatever I see or hear in the lives of my patients, whether in connection with my professional practice or not, which ought not to be spoken of outside, I will keep secret, as considering all such things to be private. So long as I maintain this Oath faithfully and without corruption, may it be granted to me to partake of life fully and the practice of my art, gaining the respect of all men for all time. However, should I transgress this Oath and violate it, may the opposite be my fate. Translated by Michael North, National Library of Medicine, 2002.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a slippery slope

To individual freedom and I'm going on it. Your oath is no license to stand in my way.

Alain said...

Yeah right, Anon. Your individual freedom is no license to force others through the state to assist in your death. Otherwise nothing is holding you back, so go for it.

Dollops said...

Whose life is it, anyway? Actually it is your ancestors', your extant family's and your descendants'. Your life is part of something so much bigger than yourself that to choose to end it at any time short of extremis is irresponsible. The world is rich with brave people dealing with afflictions of all kinds; it is poorer for every soul who gives up and seeks escape in death.

Anonymous said...

Anon 1 Your oath is no license to stand in my way.

Piss off dick head and screw your sick idea of "freedoms".

Every time one of you libertarian assholes doesn't get everything his little heart desires you run blubbering to some ivory tower, legal dream world equally asshole judge.

Let's have some term limits for these pompous dickhead judges so we can punt the pontificating bastards out.

Anonymous said...

I am totally in favour of doctor assisted suicide so long as there are safeguards in place to ensure that no one who can't consent w3illingly to the procedure is not coerced or tricked into doing it. The procedure should be drawn out with more than one physician reviewing the case and, if possible, the applicant. As well there should be more than one psychiatrist doing the same, and with a judge or some other legal authority present at all times. Most importantly, no physician should be required to perform such an act if he or she finds it to be in violation of his or her ethics.
In my case, and if I am capable, I won't place that burden on someone else's shoulders. A handful of percocets, a bottle of good whiskey, and a big fat joint will see me on my way. I will take the undertaker a week to get the smile off my face.
Powell Lucas
(Google still won't accept any of the myriad of passwords they have given me and since I avoid dealing with that information gathering and disseminating gang of thugs I have to respond as anonymous.)

john said...

ereadaAnon #1 You want your precious freedom to engage in assisted suicide? No problem.

Let me assist you. Canadian Tire has rope and outside your house is a tree. There, off you go you friggin idiot.ttereada

Now if you need more assitance maybe the asshole judge who is so enamoured with legislating from the bench that he/she hasn't got an ounce of common sense could assist you by giving you a personal demonstration themselves.

Jan said...

This will cause moral distress to many health care professionals. "First, do no harm" is what guides our practice.
Like abortion, I can see clinics set up for this purpose. There will always be a few Dr. Kevorkians to accommodate. As for the rest of us who are educated in palliative and senior health care, we will avoid this like the plague.
But beware, 65% of "euthenasias" in the Netherlands have evolved and are now done WITHOUT patient consent.

Anonymous said...

Whose life is it, anyway?

Mine. My life doesn't belong to anything bigger than me.

Lots of butthurt Socons. Get over it losers freedom wins again. We libertarians can get almost anything we want with the right set of judges. There's not much to stop us.

Alain said...

Insisting that the state/courts force someone else to assist in your suicide is not libertarian. Libertarianism is saying you have the right to take your own life if you choose, which is totally different. You say your life doesn't belong to anything bigger than you, but then neither does it give you the right to force others to participate.

I Support Lord Black