Friday, June 29, 2012

Barbara Kay on Motherhood

Barbara Kay talks about the importance and biological imperative of motherhood. She is commenting on this article. Kids need both their parents while growing up and beyond! As the first female director of policy planning at the State Department, serving from January 2009-February 2011, Slaughter commuted between her home in Princeton, New Jersey and Washington. Her husband, a Princeton prof, cheerfully accepted responsibility for the primary care of their two young sons. One of them, 14, was acting out in ways that caused concern, Slaughter notes in her article – neglecting homework, disrupting classes and resisting adult outreach. As a result, Slaughter decided to return to life as an academic at Princeton University in order to be a more hands-on mom (the problem has since been resolved, she says). In an interview with the Boston Globe newspaper, Slaughter suggested that better social policies by employers and government would help women in general, but in her own case, “Without my husband I never could have gone to Washington. My husband’s a hero; he was willing to take the kids during the week. That’s essential. I think there are many more men than ever before saying they want to be with their kids and spend more time with them. But even with a wonderful husband, I found – and it was the hardest thing to admit to myself – it was still very important to my sons for me to be there. Even if you marry the man of your dreams, it doesn’t solve everything.” How refreshing to hear a woman of high achievement not only ascribe her professional self-realization to her husband’s support, but to admit that there is no government or partner on Earth who can suppress a woman’s innate and indomitable instinct to prioritize (in her heart, if not in fact) her children’s well-being over her ambitions beyond the family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the great myths that are fed to women is that once kids are in school they don't need you anymore. In fact the teenage years are the toughest. And, I have to say, though my kids are now 18 and 25 and they don't need me day to day as they are living away from home, I am glad I have the time (and finances!) to help them out when they need me.

I Support Lord Black