Saturday, February 04, 2012

Cruel and Tender






I just saw the Canadian Stage production of Cruel and Tender. It was directed by Atom Egoyan and starred his wife Arsinée Khanjian. Egoyan gave a pre show talk that was absolutely packed!
It is an updated version of Sophocles' Trachiniae, as seen by Martin Crimp. I must say Mathew Jocelyn's first Season at Canadian Stage was not my favourite, but this season has been a whole lot better. I had a chance to tell him just that. I enjoyed this play about the horrors of war and its effects on those directly and indirectly involved. Crimp has written this as a critique of the Bush Doctrine, which has been followed by bo. The starkness of the set, the stellar cast and the lighting all made this a really great production. Others were not so impressed. You should see it yourselves and see what you think.

No comments:

I Support Lord Black