Thursday, August 18, 2011

GoProud, CPAC and Ann Coulter

I am very annoyed that my friends at GoProud are being snubbed by the ACU, so I wrote a letter to the editor in response to this excellent editorial in the NP. My American conservative friends should be concentrating on defeating Barack Obama. They should not be shooting at ideological allies.

You go girl
National Post · Aug. 18, 2011 | Last Updated: Aug. 18, 2011 3:02 AM ET

Re: The 'Fabulous' Ann Coulter, editorial, Aug 12.

I'm a gay conservative and I know many people like me. While I don't generally go around trumpeting my sexuality to people, it is relevant in this instance. I co-sponsored GoProud's Homocon 2010 in the United States with Ann Coulter as the guest. Some of my friends put on a bash at the Tory convention called the Fabulous Blue Tent and it was a huge success. There are quite a few Canadian conservatives who are gay.

I'm glad Ann Coulter is joining the GoProud board. I have attended the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Washington, D.C., on a number of occasions and have voiced my displeasure at the decision not to allow GoProud to be represented at the event. Many conservatives of all stripes have let the organizers know that this was not a good idea. Most conservatives I know treat everyone with respect and dignity, even if we disagree on some issues.

GoProud is a very conservative organization and CPAC is the largest annual gathering of conservatives in the United States. It's dumb not to allow ideological allies to attend. It just gives ammunition to the left. GoProud should be at CPAC.

Roy Eappen, Montreal.

No comments:

I Support Lord Black