Monday, August 22, 2011

R.I.P. Jack


I was very saddened but not surprised to hear of the death of Jack Layton. Jack had looked ill to me for some time, but when I saw him July 25, I knew things were going terribly wrong. I agreed with Mr Layton on very little. He was a supporter of the Canadian Crown, as am I. He always referred to himself as leader ofr Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. Indeed I ran into him and Olivia Chow at the state dinner for HM the Queen in August 2010. He introduced Olivia Chow as his MP. He had a lovely smile on his face.
My deepest sympathies to Olivia Chow , his friends and extended family. Canada has lost a favourite son.



Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement following the death of Jack Layton


“I was deeply saddened to learn this morning of the death of Jack Layton.
"When I last spoke with Jack following his announcement in July, I wished him well and he told me he'd be seeing me in the House of Commons in the Fall.
"This, sadly, will no longer come to pass.

“On behalf of all Canadians, I salute Jack’s contribution to public life, a contribution that will be sorely missed.

"I know one thing: Jack gave his fight against cancer everything he had. Indeed, Jack never backed down from any fight.
"To his wife Olivia, his family, and to his colleagues and friends, Laureen and I offer our heartfelt condolences. Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this most difficult time."











4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You agree on very little so why do you care if he passed. Just another hack with an opinion. You & Harper can thank your lucky stars knowing that Jack's voice won't be heard.

David said...

Anonymous, don't you see how it plays? You start with the line "I never liked his politics", or "I hated the man" (more common), and then follow up with "But I'm sorry he passed", thus putting the thinnest veneer of civility on your last ditch attempt to slam a politician. Roy and his ilk (blogging tories, G&M commenters) see the world through partisan eyes, so their imagined sympathies have to be put through a partisan filter. This way they avoid getting "commie cooties" from showing heartfelt sympathy. "I hated him, sorry he's dead" is a bullshit way to offer condolences.

Larry said...

Ah, the venom of the left.

You don't have to agree with someone to admire them for what they are.

Your comtempt for Dr. Roy is only matched by your seething hatred of anything resembling civilized behaviour.

bertie said...

Anon & David 2 of the reasons the left are where they are,in a cesspool.The death of their leader brings them out to a new level of hatred for the Conservatives.Only they have the right to offer condolences to Jack,s family.Jack's passing does not change my view of him.I did not like him or his politics and I certainly would never vote for his party.I do however respect him for sticking with his beliefs and fighting his whole life for them.He did not waver in his loyalty to Canada and his party.But and this is my BUT his passing does not make him anymore of a hero than he was when he was living.So the hypocrites on CBC and CTV can fake the tears all they want,they should have done it while he was living instead of wasting time on the Liberals.RIP Jack

I Support Lord Black