Friday, August 19, 2011

I have a Dream....

A great piece by Kelly McParland in the NP. It would be great if separatism would become a fringe movement. As a federalist living in Quebec very little could make me happier.I am always reluctant to say the separatist movement us dying, because it so easily springs back to life. It is clear that many French Canadians are losing interest. That is a good thing for Canada. The next step is to wean Quebec from the federal teat.
Kelly McParland, National Post · Aug. 19, 2011 | Last Updated: Aug. 19, 2011 3:02 AM ET

'm becoming seriously concerned over the future of the separatist movement in Quebec.

Like millions of other Canadians, I have little memory of a Canada that wasn't confronted by the regular eruption of separatist demands. I was still in high school when the FLQ decided that blowing up mailboxes and killing provincial Cabinet members was the way to ensure an independent future for Quebec. If there'd been an election the day after Pierre Trudeau sent troops into Montreal to make clear that he wasn't going to play their game, I might actually have voted for him.

1 comment:

robins111 said...

Personally Roy, I've always believed that the bloc-heads were a fringe element, however they were able to convince a lot of Quebecers to buy into thier 'bad-boy' image.

This dithering with the dippers is not really different.

I Support Lord Black