Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ezra on Press Councils

Press councils and organizations lik cbsa are fairly useless. I agree with Ezra.

I love writing for the Sun newspapers. But now, I love writing for them even more.

That’s because the Sun has officially quit the Ontario Press Council.

The Press Council sounds very official. But it’s just a club. It’s a group of journalists and public members who operate as some sort of pretend court, to hear complaints from people who don’t like what they’ve read in a newspaper.

They take the complaints, hold a hearing and then issue a ruling about whether or not the newspaper got it right or wrong.

It’s a combination of a complaints department and the Oprah Winfrey show.

And, just like Oprah Winfrey, press councils are politically correct.

The only good thing I can say about them is they’re voluntary. They do not have the power of the law behind them.

1 comment:

been around the block said...

Bravo, Sun Media!

I took the Probe and Fail to the Ontario Press Council back in the '80s and while I "lost" the case (hey, no surprise), at least my objections to the writer's/paper's bias was fully covered in the article that appeared in the Globe saying that I'd lost and the Globe had won.

Like the position of CBC Ombudsman, the members of the OPC are journalists and former media types who like to scratch each others' politically correct backs. The Press Council has little to do with media standards and taking the public's part concerning media bias and a lot to do with circling the wagons when the media is taken to task: all wagon, no horses!

I Support Lord Black