Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cutting Arts Funding

I don't like government funding of the arts in general and this latest nonsense just proves the point.
I find it fascinating that mocking Christianity is a state funded endeavour in Canada , the US and much of the West. Can you imagine if the book these 'artists" mocked was the Koran? In any case people should mock what they like, but not with funding from the taxpayer. I donate to three theater companies and other arts organizations. Arts should be funded byindividuals and corporations. If these "artists" can't raise the funds to make their "art" without government help perhaps it shouldn't have been made. In a time of austerity it is the perfect time to cut most of these programs.

3 comments:

Winston said...

good point

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sixth Estate said...

I don't know if you're familiar with the old British sitcom "Yes, Minister," but if you're not, I definitely recommend it. There's a couple of really good episodes on this very subject, and need I say nothing's changed since the 1980s?

This kind of reminds me of the flap over that dirty movie in 2008 (that long ago now? I think so...) that got public funding, too.

I Support Lord Black