Tuesday, March 01, 2011

The King's Speech

I like this assessment by Mark Steyn.(h/t) To me duty, loyalty and responsibility are primal. Loyalty to God , Queen and Country has always been vitally important to me. Loyalty to my friends and family come close afterwards. Maybe , this is why this movie has resonated so much with me.

God save the King, and motion picture storytelling
March 1, 2011 12:56 A.M.
By Mark Steyn

I’d like to second Fred Thompson’s remarks re the Oscars. I don’t think The King’s Speech is a classic for the ages, but it didn’t have to be up against Sunday’s competition. As Fred says, it’s not about some (to Americans) obscure Brit toff stammering for a couple of hours, but about something larger and primal – duty and responsibility, even when you don’t want to do something, even when in the objective sense you are entirely unsuited to the burdens placed upon you. The King’s Speech is, in Hollywood terms, a “small” movie, but it’s big at heart. By contrast, The Social Network isn’t about anything other than its own superficial cool. For all its skill, it’s small and shriveled and dessicated at heart. Yet I’ll bet more than a few studio execs are still baffled about this: After all, a year ago, if you’d asked the average screenwriter whether he’d rather pitch a film about George VI (a decent, diffident stiff) or a film about Mark Zuckerberg, I doubt you’d have had many takers for the former.

1 comment:

Frances said...

The speech I always heard of was the one given - I believe - December, 1939. In it, King George quoted M Louise Haskins: "I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year..." Later, the quote was reproduced on cotton as an embroidery sampler. Ours cannot have been the only household with those words proudly displayed on the wall.

I Support Lord Black