Thursday, March 03, 2011

I condemn Israeli Apartheid week on campus

I agree with the kids at the Prince Arthur Herald

Herald Ed. Board: We All Must Condemn Israeli Apartheid Week
Posted on March 3rd, 2011 by Herald Ed Board in Editorial Board, Politics

This March, cities and university campuses around the world will take part in the 7th annual Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW) – a 13 day global event (in contrast to its name) aimed at attacking the state of Israel and what they claim to be its “apartheid system.” Started in Toronto in 2005, the annual series of film screenings, demonstrations, and lectures has expanded to include 63 cities in 5 continents. Despite its continued growth however, IAW remains an unfortunate and ill-advised campaign whose activities undermine the spirit of goodwill between Canada and Israel and further hinder the peace process by misinforming the public and stirring up anti-Israeli, and far too often anti-Semitic, sentiment.

I don't seek to ban this distasteful, bigoted activity. I propose alternatives. I also enjoy listening to speakers who give another view of the conflict like Khaled Abu Tomah. Read this article from my friend Joanne Hill on the event I attended a few weeks ago.

No comments:

I Support Lord Black