Sunday, January 09, 2011

We Are All Copts

A great column by David Warren. Who has also been to Coptic churches in Egypt. It is hard not to think of Our Coptic Brothers and Sisters at this Holy time of the year.


We are all Copts
David Warren, Ottawa Citizen
Published: Sunday, January 09, 2011
Come unto me, all ye that are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
As every educated reader will know, the remark is from the Gospels (Matthew 11:28), and quoted directly from Jesus Christ. As St. Augustine said of this passage: "I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are very wise and very beautiful. But never anything like this."
My own remarks today will be like a letter to the Copts who have settled here in Ottawa, who have been celebrating their Christmas -- along with all those other Eastern Christians who have hesitated to embrace the calendar reform of Pope Gregory. (As a conservative myself, I'm not entirely without sympathy.)


But I am not writing to them as Catholic to Copt, but as Christian to Christian; also as Canadian to Canadian, and over my shoulder to "all men of goodwill." And I think the very first thing to say is, Merry Christmas and God bless all of you and yours. And may the same God, who created the heavens and the Earth, call from each of us the echo of His infinite holiness...

No comments:

I Support Lord Black