Monday, November 08, 2010


Dr Petit is an endocrinologist like me and is a member of several of the same organizations as I am. I cannot even begin to understand his suffering. I hope this gives him some small comfort. The vermin deserves its fate.

After more than three days of deliberation, a jury in Connecticut Monday decided to condemn to death a man convicted of a brutal home invasion murder of a mother and her two daughters in 2007.

Steven Hayes was on parole when he broke into a home in the suburb of Cheshire, Conn., and killed Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her daughters, 17- and 11-year-old Hayley and Michaela.

Jurors in New Haven Superior Court reached a unanimous decision to give Hayes the death penalty.

One female juror wiped away tears and others were spotted comforting one another, ABC News reported.

Some members of the victims' family held their heads in their hands as the verdict was read, according to ABC.

Dr. William Petit, Hawke-Petit's husband and the father of the two girls who was beaten with a bat during the invasion but managed to escape, said he was thinking of his wife and daughters as the verdict was read.

"I was crying for our loss," he said. "Michaela was an 11-year-old little girl, tortured and killed in her own bedroom, surrounded by stuffed animals. Hayley had a great future. She was a strong and courageous person."

"I was glad for the girls that there was justice, because I think it was a just verdict," Petit said. "But mostly I was sad for the loss we have all suffered."

Hayes's lawyers argued that the 47-year-old should have been spared the death penalty because his mental capacity was significantly impaired due to child abuse.

They portrayed him as a bumbling drug addict caught up in a monstrous spiral of events escalated by his co-defendant, Joshua Komisarjevsky.

1 comment:

been around the block said...

I can't even begin to imagine this poor man's suffering. What a beautiful family; what a loss.

I have two daughters and I can't even think about their ever having to endure such a fate. This is a parent's absolute worst nightmare.

I hope the fact that justice has been served is some small comfort to this husband and father.

I Support Lord Black