Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Mary Eapen Mathew

                    My Aunt Mary in white sitting next to my Mom at the baptism of Phil's youngest.

I lost my Aunt Mary yesterday. She had been ill for the last few years, but it was still a great shock. She was the younger sister of my dad, who passed away 9 years ago. My Dad's youngest sister passed away many years ago. Now they are all gone.
My Aunt Mary was a teacher. She had a degree in physics. She came to Canada in 1968 with my two cousins Suma and Phil in tow, to join my uncle Sunny, who was getting his PhD in Economics at McGill University. She was a stay at home mom, but she also taught Malayalam to the kids in the Ottawa area. Sometimes she worked for H&R Block. I spent many happy summers in Ottawa visiting my aunt, uncle and cousins. My Aunt always treated me as a beloved son. She and my dad were very close and she was devastated my his death.
She was a beloved mother, grandmother and aunt, a great cook, a wonderful teacher and a devoted follower of Christ. She will be missed by her children, grandchildren and her many neices and nephews. She was very close to my mom, here sister in law. They spoke every night. My mom is also devastated by the loss. I already miss her warm smile and her affectionate teasing, but I am comforted in knowing she is reunited with her family in the arms of Our Saviour.

MATHEW, Mary Peacefully on Monday, October 4, 2010 at the age of 80. Beloved wife of Philip. Loving mother of Suma (Jim Chunn) and Phil (Whitney Rodricks). Caring grandmother of David, Michael, Ava and Ethan. Predeceased by her brother C. E. Eapen (Rachel) and her sister Accamma (K. I. Jacob). She is also survived by her niece Elizabeth and her nephews Roy and Mohan. She was a friend to many and will be dearly missed by all who knew and loved her. Friends are invited to visit at the St. Laurent Chapel of Hulse, Playfair & McGarry, 1200 Ogilvie Road (at Aviation Parkway) on Thursday, October 7 from 2-4 & 7-9 p.m. Funeral Service will be held at Rothwell United Church, 42 Sumac Street on Friday, October 8 at 1 p.m. Those wishing may make donations to the University of Ottawa Heart Institute or The Kidney Foundation of Canada.


natasha said...

My condolences, Dr. Roy. She sounds like a wonderful lady. That's a life well lived to be missed so much.

Hendrix said...

My condolences to the Suma and Phil

Matt said...

Sorry to hear about your loss, our thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...



Jen said...

My deepest sympathy for the demise of your Aunt, Roy. I pray that she is resting with Our Lord.

Nice family you have there Dr. Roy, thank you for sharing.

Tradesman said...

Sorry to hear about your loss Dr. Eappean.

been around the block said...

I'm very sorry for your loss, Dr. Roy. The one thing I am clear about is that love is stronger than death; your love for your Aunt Mary and hers for you will never die.

Rest eternal grant unto Mary, O LORD.
And may light perpetual shine upon her.
May she rest in peace. Amen.

I Support Lord Black