Monday, August 23, 2010

South Pacific

 I attended the Dancap production( it is the Lincoln center revival) of South Pacific at the Four Seasons Opera House in Toronto. It was a spectacular production. I had been invited to a preview a few months ago.
The sets, the singing, the costumes were all exquisite. It was all I could do to not sing along. Jason Howard and Carmen Cusack were wonderful in the lead roles.The reviews have been amazing. The show also had a lot to do with race and prejudice. It was a very forward thinking musical. I loved this production. See it if at all possible.

1 comment:

been around the block said...

South Pacific, with Mitzi Gaynor and Rossano Brazzi, is a happy childhood memory. My sister and I, at the age of nine, knew all of the words to all of the songs, even though some of them, like "You've Got to be Taught" (to hate and fear, you've got to be taught from year to year, it's got to be drummed in your dear little ear...), were a little over our heads.

What is it with all of these reprisals? Is it a demographic thing? Is it that Boomers, generally, have more cash and more motivation to go to live theatre than young people today, who watch most of their entertainment on their computers?

Frankly, I haven't been motivated to go to newer musical theatre and, when I have, I haven't been very impressed. Give me a boy meets girl story anytime, with a crisis thrown in (and, I mean a real crisis) and, then, get me to the theatre on time!

I can't get excited by High School Musical or Hairspray or Mama Mia, etc. ...

I Support Lord Black