Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Happy and Glorious

                                                  Some of Our National Councillors
                    Kara Johnson Simon Chapelle Mark Dozert Steven Birell John Walsh and Sophie Allard in front

                                                     Kara Johnson and the Blogging Tories

                                                                                         Jason Kenney's Mom

I had one of the great experiences of my life klast night. I shook hands and was able to great Our Sovereign Lady and HRH Prince Philip. It was an extraordinary day. I flew in from Montreal for the occasion. There were some problems. A substation caught fire and much of downtown Toronto was in the dark. The Royal York used its back up generators. We were all 350 people in attendance all in on large reception hall before dinner. I met many , many friends including fellow Blogging Tories Steve Liakos of Officially Screwed, Matt Macguire of a Step to the Right and Shawn of The Politic.com.
There were many others in attendance including the moderator of the United Church, someone I have denounced for her climate alarmism in the past. I also saw many friends from the Monarchist League of Canada including Robert Finch, our Dominion Chairman. People had flown in from all over this vast Dominion. Some came from as far as the Yukon and Victoria. There wer many political people, many of whom I knew. I even greeted Jack Layton and his MP , as he introduced her, Olivia Chow.
Jason Kenney was there with his Mom. I spoke to HM Minister of Finance Jim Flaherty. As is my custom. I said Flat Tax to him repeatedly. He replied we're working on it.
Lois Brown , HM Minister for Development Bev Oda, Peter Kent and many others were also in attendance.
We all got to meet and greet HM and HRH , HM PM Harper and Mrs Harper. It was done as a receiving line. It is amazing that HM and HRH greeted all 356 of their guests.
We were individually announced and then we greeted the 4 of them. I was very nervous. HM PM Harper greeted me warmly by my first name and that calmed me down. I then met HM and HRH. It was amazing. What a gracious lady. Our Mother, Prince and Friend.
After the receiving line we all entered the Banquet hall. HM and HRH got a prolonged standing ovation. We then all stood and sang the Royal Anthem. It was wonderful to hear hundreds of Canadians singing God Save the Queen.
HM PM made a wonderful speech reminding us that Canada is a familyof which HM is an integral part. He called HM Canada's Most valuable player.
"Your faithfulness to Canada over these many years has made a difference," Harper said. "It reminds us that our country itself is like a family and that we have an extended family around the world in the Commonwealth."

It was an amazing evening that passed by too quickly. I went out afterwards with my feloow bloggers.

More video here, here and here
The speeches were amazing. HM PM
"On my first visit, before I was queen, I noted that from the moment I came to Canadian soil, my sense of apprehension disappeared, because I understood that I was not only among friends but among fellow citizens," she said. "Today, many years later, I still feel as much affection and admiration for Canada."

HM's Speech in Toronto

Prime Minister, I am most grateful to you for your kind words and for your thoughtful personal gift by which I will remember this most enjoyable return to Canada and your part in it. Prince Philip and I should also like to thank the Government of Canada for its generous charitable contributions in our honour.

Alors que ma vingt-deuxième visite au Canada tire à sa fin, le prince Philip et moi garderons d’excellents souvenirs de ce magnifique pays et de ses habitants. Lors de ma première visite, avant que je ne sois reine, j’ai fait remarquer que « du moment que je suis arrivée sur le sol canadien le sentiment d’appréhension est disparu, parce que j’ai compris que j’étais non seulement parmi des amis, mais parmi mes compatriotes ». Aujourd’hui, bien des années plus tard, j’éprouve toujours autant d’affection et d’admiration pour le Canada.

Tomorrow afternoon, I shall address the General Assembly of the United Nations in New York as the Sovereign of sixteen member states and Head of the Commonwealth. Just as in 1957, when I last visited the UN, I shall be travelling from this Northern Realm as Queen of Canada, a country whose whole-hearted commitment to the United Nations throughout its history is without equal. Building on those foundations, this nation's international engagement is as strong as ever, whether measured by the service and sacrifice of our troops in Afghanistan or gathering the leading countries of the world here in Toronto to address matters of urgent concern.

In my lifetime, Canada's development as a nation has been remarkable. This vast, rich and varied country has inspired its own and attracted many others by its adherence to certain values. Some are enshrined in law but I should imagine just as many are simply found in the hearts of ordinary Canadians.

Commitment to freedom, fairness and the rule of law are commonly and rightly associated with this nation. These are just some of the attributes that animate Canadians at home and abroad, not least in the service of peace. So, although my visit here is drawing to a close, I shall continue to take the greatest pride in being your Queen, now and in the years to come.

Large crowds greeted HM at Queen's Park

HM's Speech at the UN

Mr President, Secretary-General, Members of the General Assembly,

I believe I was last here in 1957.

Since then, I have travelled widely and met many leaders, ambassadors and statesmen from around the world. I address you today as Queen of sixteen United Nations Member States and as Head of the Commonwealth of 54 countries.

I have also witnessed great change, much of it for the better, particularly in science and technology, and in social attitudes. Remarkably, many of these sweeping advances have come about not because of governments, committee resolutions, or central directives - although all these have played a part - but instead because millions of people around the world have wanted them.

For the United Nations, these subtle yet significant changes in people's approach to leadership and power might have foreshadowed failure and demise. Instead, the United Nations has grown and prospered by responding and adapting to these shifts.

But also, many important things have not changed. The aims and values which inspired the United Nations Charter endure: to promote international peace, security and justice; to relieve and remove the blight of hunger, poverty and disease; and to protect the rights and liberties of every citizen.

The achievements of the United Nations are remarkable. When I was first here, there were just three United Nations operations overseas. Now over 120,000 men and women are deployed in 26 missions across the world. You have helped to reduce conflict, you have offered humanitarian assistance to millions of people affected by natural disasters and other emergencies, and you have been deeply committed to tackling the effects of poverty in many parts of the world.

But so much remains to be done. Former Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjold once said that ‘constant attention by a good nurse may be just as important as a major operation by a surgeon’. Good nurses get better with practice; sadly the supply of patients never ceases.

This September, leaders will meet to agree how to achieve the Millennium Development Goals when each nation will have its own distinctive contribution to make. New challenges have also emerged which have tested this organisation as much as its member states. One such is the struggle against terrorism. Another challenge is climate change, where careful account must be taken of the risks facing smaller, more vulnerable nations, many of them from the Commonwealth.

Mr. President,

I started by talking about leadership. I have much admiration for those who have the talent to lead, particularly in public service and in diplomatic life - and I congratulate you, your colleagues and your predecessors on your many achievements.

It has perhaps always been the case that the waging of peace is the hardest form of leadership of all. I know of no single formula for success, but over the years I have observed that some attributes of leadership are universal, and are often about finding ways of encouraging people to combine their efforts, their talents, their insights, their enthusiasm and their inspiration, to work together.

Since I addressed you last, the Commonwealth, too, has grown vigorously to become a group of nations representing nearly two billion people. It gives its whole-hearted support to the significant contributions to the peace and stability of the world made by the United Nations and its Agencies. Last November, when I opened the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Trinidad and Tobago, I told the delegates that the Commonwealth had the opportunity to lead. Today I offer you the same message.

For over six decades the United Nations has helped to shape the international response to global dangers. The challenge now is to continue to show this clear and convening leadership while not losing sight of your ongoing work to secure the security, prosperity and dignity of our fellow human beings.

When people in fifty-three years from now look back on us, they will doubtless view many of our practices as old-fashioned. But it is my hope that, when judged by future generations, our sincerity, our willingness to take a lead, and our determination to do the right thing, will stand the test of time.

In my lifetime, the United Nations has moved from being a high-minded aspiration to being a real force for common good. That of itself has been a signal achievement. But we are not gathered here to reminisce. In tomorrow’s world, we must all work together as hard as ever if we are truly to be United Nations.

HM's speech in 1957


been around the block said...

Wow, Dr. Roy, you get around!

I caught Prime Minister Harper's speech and Her Majesty's on CPAC last night.

I LOVED her Most Valuable Player hockey sweater and she seemed to, too!

'Just caught a glimpse of Laureen Harper, and wondered that the media didn't highlight her lovely presence. As I've said before, the Harpers are a highly photogenic couple, which is why I find it alarming that their photos don't appear more often on the front pages of our newspapers and magazines.

(It's ironic that the media charge PMSH with being "mean," when it's their being mean-spirited that seems to be at the bottom of the media "blackout" of the Harpers. I think that most Canadians would be delighted to see the Harpers and their children in more media venues.)

Anyway, it seems to have been a highly successful tour and PMSH and Her Majesty seem very comfortable with one another.

Long live the Queen! Long may Prime Minister Stephen Harper govern Canada!

Honey Pot said...

I love her too! You lucky duck. I can't get enough of her hats. I wish they came back in fashion. Long live our Queen!

I Support Lord Black