Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cutting the cops some slack

 My friend Peter Jaworski calls people like me law and order conservatives. I am enormously more complex than that( I am Christian, Monarchist, capitalist, neocon, with a measure of libertarianism thrown in), but he has a point. I admit it I generally cut the police a lot of slack. I have enormous respect and affection for HM Forces. They do jobs and deal with people that many of us would find pretty awful. I know the police are not perfect. I actually have made a complaint to the police ethics board in Montreal once. I was stopped and detained for 30 minutes while driving in to the hospital late at night.This happened many years ago. The police wanted to know if I owned my car ( I was driving my Lexus SC 400 at the time). They insisted on checking for quite some time inspite of the fact that I told them I had a critically ill patient to attend to. I even had the locating operator of the hospital talk to the policeman. No ticket was issued and I was allowed to proceed. It seems i really did own my own car. I was very annoyed and made a complaint. I did get an apology when I met with the police officer at a mediation hearing. I agreed to no disciplinary action to be taken. That was OK for me.
I like this article about policing. I still think we need to give the police a lot of slack, but not too much.

All in all, we can give the police a lot of credit and cut them some slack; based on what we know so far, it seems that they mostly did a pretty good job. Canada’s police, relative to global standards, mostly do. But it’s fair to raise questions about the things that weren’t as they should have been, and the cases where it appears that the police did not do such an outstanding job.

And in the post-Dziekanski era, when right wingers robotically lining up in to the “our cops are always tops” camp are as out of touch as reflexive leftists claiming that we live under martial law, Canadians shouldn’t ever cut the police too much slack.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is sheer hypocrisy that collectivists refer to conservatives as law and order liberty hijackers when their whole shtick is to take over and run your life from cradle to crypt.

Sure we’ll bend our libertarian tendencies for a few days with heavy handed law and order to prevent anarchists threatening the safety of global leaders. But after it’s over we need to return to a more pragmatic balance of individual rights and the law. That’s called good government and let’s run the next election on POGG versus academic theories of some utopian plan.

nomdeblog

been around the block said...

I, too, am in the law and order camp, and am inclined to be pro-police, having in the past even stopped them on the street to encourage them in their very difficult, often thankless, job.

I have, however, been concerned recently at the kind of policing we're getting here in Toronto, vis a vis pro-Hamas/Hezbollah and Tamil Tiger rallies and the lenient treatment of other "visible minorities" in this hyper-multicultural city of Toronto. It seems that there is a perimeter drawn around these groups, allowing them to take liberties with our laws when demonstrating (and severely limiting the flow of traffic) in public places, liberties no group a non-visible minority group would be allowed.

When vandals are trashing businesses and torching cars, as the thugs/"protesters" were doing during the G-20 Summit, it is very disturbing to witness legions of police officers standing down and doing nothing to stop the mayhem. I know why they did it: They were ordered to by Police Chief (sic) Bill Blair and Mayor David Miller and many of them were angered and embarrassed by their inability to stop and arrest the perpetrators of what were, clearly, crimes.

When the Chief of Police and the Mayor of any municipality pander to the left's criticism of (possible/future) "police brutality," -- police "brutality" that hasn't even happened -- rather than ensuring actions on the part of their police force to ensure the safety and security of law-abiding business owners and citizens AS CRIMES ARE BEING COMMITTED RIGHT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE'S EYES, then, Houston/Toronto, we have a problem.

Having made these points, however, given the fact that no one was killed in this major offensive to democracy and others' freedoms on the part of the Black Bloc and other thuggish anarchists, I suggest that our police, under the circumstances, did a good job. As far as their arresting over 900 people, that's fine with me. It's too bad some "innocent" bystanders got caught in the "crossfire" (of arrests), but that's bound to happen in a hyper-sensitive, crazy situation.

I just wish that Miller and Blair had allowed the police to act quickly on Saturday to stop the thug violence. Seeing as the police, no matter what they did, were damned if they did, damned if they didn't, why not let them uphold the laws of the land and arrest those committing crimes in broad daylight? Blair's and Miller's appeasement mentality is very damaging.

I Support Lord Black