Friday, June 18, 2010

Air India !82

My family lost many friends on Air India 182. I was visiting London at the time and my parents were supposed to be going to India. For a brief second when I heard the terrible news, I thought my parents had died. I called home and my mom answered and said they were going the next week. ( That flight was cancelled). Some of my father's fellow professor colleagues became the walking dead. They had sent their wives and children to India and were going to follow a bit later. Many children died on that plane. Whole families wiped out. The monsters who committed this act of violence have never really been punished.
This report brings up many bad memories. I remember the memorial service in a stadium , where we all wept together. Our friends who died were all completely westernized. they were all employed and contributing to Canadian society. They were all citizens of this great land. The survivors are still devastated by the loss.


The long-awaited report into the largest mass murder in Canadian history makes clear that far more victims than just the 329 passengers and crew were created by the bombing of Air India Flight 182 a quarter-century ago -- namely, the families whose lives were devastated not only by the bombing but by the Canadian government's "callous" reaction.

Justice John Major blamed "a cascading series of errors" by the government and its agencies, both before and after the bombing, and suggested the families are owed an official apology and compensation. To his credit, Stephen Harper, the Prime Minister, said his government will "respond positively" to those recommendations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly horrific. I can't imagine what it would be like to say goodbye to your family members and never see them again.
I don't think the Air India bombing quite registered in the Canadian consciousness as 9/11 or other tragedies have. If it had, our politicians and government agencies would have taken some serious steps to combat terrorism 25 years ago. It still seems like there is a turf war
between CSIS and RCMP. The saddest part is how the families have been mistreated in the midst of all this. Waiting 25 years and not receiving any form of justice is simply wrong.

Anonymous said...

Truly horrific. I can't imagine what it would be like to say goodbye to your family members and never see them again.
I don't think the Air India bombing quite registered in the Canadian consciousness as 9/11 or other tragedies have. If it had, our politicians and government agencies would have taken some serious steps to combat terrorism 25 years ago. It still seems like there is a turf war
between CSIS and RCMP. The saddest part is how the families have been mistreated in the midst of all this. Waiting 25 years and not receiving any form of justice is simply wrong.

I Support Lord Black