Tuesday, May 18, 2010

R.I.P. Colonel Geoff Parker

My deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Colonel Geoff Parker. His sacrifice for freedom will not be forgotten. I am deeply saddened by the death of this courageous man.

Col. Geoff Parker, the highest ranking Canadian to be killed in Afghanistan, leaves behind a wife and two young children after he was killed in Afghanistan by a suicide car bomb today.

Col. Parker, 42, was the 145th Canadian soldier to die in Afghanistan. As a commanding officer, he was often quoted speaking about the deaths of soldiers under his own command, always treating them with compassion and respect.

One Canadian Forces member travelling in a NATO convoy was killed after an insurgent detonated a vehicle borne improvised explosive device between the convoy of vehicles in Kabul at approximately 8 a.m. local Afghanistan time on May 18, 2010. Colonel Geoff Parker killed this morning in the suicide bomb attack that also killed 5 US servicemen.
“There was no hesitation in his mind that that was the place for him … happy to do what was required of him in theatre,” he said of a soldier who died in 2008, the year after he moved to CFB Gagetown in New Brunswick.

1 comment:

Don said...

I think tomorrow I shall wear a poppy in memoriam.

God Bless our Soldiers. My God bring peace to the family.

I Support Lord Black