Wednesday, April 07, 2010

White guilt

 I am from India and I am not white. I have only once or twice in my life faced racism and it was easily dealt with. When dealing with people I honestly couldn't care less about their skin colour, except in medical matters such as rashes. I marvel at how guilty white people feel.  It is genuine self hatred. They are destroying themselves and their civilization with this foolishness. A great article from Barbara Kay.

Remember the old Kermit the Frog complaint, "It's not that easy bein' green"? It's from a ditty about diversity, in which Kermit proceeds from self-doubt over the limitations of being green to the conclusion there's value in all colours and nothing gained brooding over identity: "I am green and it'll do fine...I think it's what I want to be."

But what if bullies had convinced everyone on Sesame Street that being green made you wicked? It would avail Kermit naught that green can be "big like an ocean, or important like a mountain" when set against greenness as the root cause of all other-coloured muppets' grievances.

Update. My friend Hugh sent me this.


Anonymous said...

Dr Roy, Thank you, that was delightful!

Dr Roy for senator!

Spin Assassin said...

I'm only white when I'm getting blamed for something somebody else did before I was born.

Tradesman said...

Dr. Eappean, that was a fine post.

Spin Assasin, that was a PERFECT comment! (I'm totally stealing it).

Shawn Abigail said...

I think white people have less self-identity based on skin colour than some other folks. I would never think to say that I am proud of what my white ancestors accomplished. To do so would never enter my head, and if it did then I would probably be accused of being a racist (while it is perfectly acceptable for other folks to say that they are proud of their skin colour based heritage). On the other hand, I could say that I am proud of why my English ancestors accomplished, and (hopefully) nobody would accuse me of racism. I guess my thoughts are rambling, but in an ideal world I can be proud of my ancestors and their accomplishments, without looking down on the accomplishments of others.

I Support Lord Black