Saturday, April 19, 2008

George Jonas on abolishing hrcs

Jonas points out that the hrcs are social enginerring agencies. They should be abolished. The power of the stat should not be used to silence contray views and the discrimination the hrcs are supposed to prevent is mostly prevented by market considerations. The hrcs are just another way for activists to bash their opponents with little cost or consequence to themselves. The hrcs are fundamentally unfair and should be eliminated.

Having played a pivotal role in the creation of human rights commissions (HRCs), my old debating partner is concerned that a backlash against his brainchild's encroachment on the free press -- Mark Steyn, Maclean's, Ezra Levant -- may result in HRCs being abolished so they can't encroach on the free market anymore.

Borovoy considers me part of the backlash. "One of the most articulate members of this group is the ever provocative George Jonas," he writes in the Toronto Star this week. Thanks, Alan; I thought my battle was lost 30 years ago. If you think not, I'm delighted to have another kick at the can.

No comments:

I Support Lord Black